Tuesday 16 February 2010

Is this a Cinema Ticket I see Before Me?

I am thinking about booking my cinema tickets to see the new Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland! Zomg, excited. It has Mr. Depp in it so of course I HAVE to see it. I am an inquisitive person and having said trait I decided to do a bit of "research" about this film. Of course, it wasn't really "research"; it was more like having a nose about the internet. I knew that it came out on March 5th, of course, because that's when I am hoping to be going to see it. I also knew that Helena Bonham Carter, Anne Hathaway, and Mia Wasikowska would be starring alongside Johnny Depp. And all of the obvious things like Tim Burton is directing it and such. But what I didn't know was that this isn't the original "Alice in Wonderland" story that we all know and love, but this one is set when Alice is nineteen, and this bloke proposes to her, so she goes to have a "moment" with her childhood friends in Wonderland. But things have changed and the Red Queen has gone all barmy and such. I could have found out more but I didn't want to spoil it for myself. Instead I wanted a look at all the costumes for the characters and I have to say that they have done an amazing job on all of the characters, and I was glad to see that they haven't been particularly traditional, but what can you expect from a Tim Burton movie?

So first I looked at The Mad Hatter; Johnny's character.

And how amazing does he look?! The hair is fantastic. And the bow tie is also very cool. But the first thing I noticed was the eyes. Usually I like to see Johnny's amazing and gorgeous brown eyes, but the contacts he's wearing in this are amazing! His eyelashes, on the other hand, look a bit weird. Not sure if I like them or not. Still. His hat is probably the second thing I noticed because it's... well, pretty big! Can anyone tell what's stuck in it? I also noticed, and was pleased to notice, that they kept the nice original "10/6" label on it.
But there was something else that struck me and also worried me a bit. His hands. Is it just me or are they covered with blood? Maybe that's just my interpretation, but, this films a PG and if it is blood... well, I'm sure young children will be a bit scared at that. I'm guessing there a reason behind it, though, and I'm hoping all will become clear in the film.

Next I looked up The Red Queen. I think this part has been cast magnificently and I think Helena will do an amazing job.

So, her head's too big for her body. I know. From what I can gather this is the side effect of her vanity; that she was getting a bit "big headed". Looking at her from the point of view of her costume, it's amazing. And the scepter. I love the heart-shaped scepter. :)
Also, the detail on her dress is magnificent, and I adore detail. It makes me much more interested. I can't be bothered with things that are plain, and have no depth or scope. From the trailer's I can imagine the Red Queen being a funny character.

Now for Alice. I'm so glad they haven't done the same, boring Mary-Sue from the original Disney Alice in Wonderland cartoon.

Now I know the picture doesn't show he costume very well, but you get the general idea. I love the Victorian style shoes that she has instead of the black Mary Janes that everyone always sees Alice wearing. I don't really know much about the chosen actress, Mia Wasikowska, but she looks like she's been cast well. Only time will tell if this is right or not.

Anne Hathaway is playing the White Queen. I love Anne Hathaway. Oh, and I was wondering does anyone remember if the two queens were supposed to be sisters? I don't know where I've got that from, but if someone would care to clarify this I'd be very grateful.

And she even has the little dormouse. Her hair is also amazing, but I'm seeing a recurrence between the styles of her hair and Alice's. I think they're maybe a bit too similar? Idk. Maybe I'm just being picky. Anyway, I adore her dress, just perfect for the White Queen. I remember thinking about how this character would look while reading Alice Through the Looking Glass, and the image I had in my mind was very close to the image above.

All in all, I think the casting for this film is phenomenal and I can't wait to see it, hopefully on the 5th. Tis a very important date (Sorry, had to be done).

Here is the trailer, courtesy of YouTube:



And in case that didn't work, here's the link to the same video.

No comments:

Post a Comment